CLIMEX - Software to Predict the effects of climate on species
Climate is one of the major factors limiting the distribution of
plants and cold-blooded animals. Using climate information, and knowledge
about the biology and distribution of a particular species in its
original habitat, CLIMEX enables a rapid, reliable assessment of the
risks posed by the introduction of different organisms, and can be used
to predict locations to which it could spread.
CLIMEX can also be used to identify possible collection and release
sites for biological control agents. Possible changes to the greenhouse
effect can be tested.
CLIMEX is currently used by many governments, agencies, universities
and schools worldwide to examine the distribution of insects, plants,
pathogens and vertebrates for a variety of purposes, including
biogeography, quarantine, biological control and impacts of changes in
climate and climate variability.
This program was developed by CSIRO Entomology in 1985 and has had
numerous successful applications under practical conditions.
- In-depth interpretation of climatic responses of biological
- Geographical mapping of responses.
- Seasonal graphing of growth and stress responses.
- Annual indices of responses for organisms in one location.
- Global meteorological database which can be inspected, edited
or added to.
- User friendly interface.
- Customised maps.
- Greenhouse effect scenarios.
- 9 tutorials with sample answers.